Thursday, March 27, 2008

RANDOM QUESTION OF THE DAY

Ok, so I'm giving birth in about six weeks and am a little confused on one major issue--circumcision. Before becoming pregnant with a son, I never thought twice about circumcision. I just always thought it was something that you should do but never questioned why one would do it. I've been reading a lot of articles criticizing the procedure by describing it as "barbaric" and "medically unnecessary". I asked my daughter's pediatrician about it yesterday and he basically agreed that circumcision is generally unnecessary for most males. The main reason that males are circumcised at birth is so that they "look like everyone else". He also stated that my baby boy will likely receive no pain medication but will nonetheless be OK. I was almost in tears. I asked him, so I'm going to subject my newborn son to pain so that his genitals will not look different? That just seems stupid to me. Of course, my husband was in total agreement with the pediatrician.
Perhaps, I'm overreacting but the thought of subjecting my newborn to unnecessary pain just seems cruel.
Any Thoughts?

13 comments:

TravelDiva said...

I hate to be a conformist, but better to do it when he's a newborn than later on. He won't remember the pain. I know my nephew's mom couldn't take Leo to get it done because she couldn't bear the thought of him being in that pain, so my mom ended up wheeling his little nursery bin to the circumcision room.

But, that's a parent's decision....

12kyle said...

As the reigning (8 time) Father of the Year, I think that you should do it. I have 3 boys and it was done to each one of them. It's done while their in the hospital and they are only in some discomfort when the urinate for a day or two after the procedure. While it's not something that you HAVE to do, I think they recommend it b/c it's easier to clean.

Grown Woman said...

thanks--I'm going to do it because if it becomes medically necessary when he is older, he will need anesthesia and that's even scarier to me. I don't like it, but I'll do it.

TravelDiva said...

8 KIDS!!! 12Kyle how are you blogging? LOL

12kyle said...

@ TravelDiva
Nooooooo!!! I have 3 kids. All boys. Not 8. Please don't put that on me. LMAO!!!

CHA CHA said...

I did it to my son. My son's father is uncircumsized though And in his adult life its just a major inconvenience. He has to be extra careful to keep it clean or he will get bacteria infections. His was the first and last uncircumsized penis I have ever had or seen. He thought about getting it circumsized but the doctors told him that at this point in his adult life the pain will be really devastating, it would be so bad to the point where he can't be anywhere or see anything for two weeks that would give him even the slighest arousal. I remember when my son got his, they took him away but when they brought him back he seemed fine. It's usually done within his first couple of days of life. I think its more cosmetic than anything but you don’t want him to struggle. I think you should do it, the doctors have to give you a clinical answer but I bet they don’t have uncircumsized penis, and neither do their sons if they have any..ya feel me

TravelDiva said...

LMAO 12kyle. I misread the post. I was like good Lord. LOL

Unknown said...

Can you imagine being in junior high gym class showers with the only uncircumsized penis?

Can you demand some sort of numbing agent?

Grown Woman said...

Thanks everyone. LOl on Louis and Nadja's post because that's exactly what the doctor said to me--he was like when he's in middle school and he finds out that his penis looks different than everyone else's--he will be devastated.
Im going to do it--relucantantly--but neverthless I'll do it.

Grown Woman said...

Thanks everyone. LOl on Louis and Nadja's post because that's exactly what the doctor said to me--he was like when he's in middle school and he finds out that his penis looks different than everyone else's--he will be devastated.
Im going to do it--relucantantly--but neverthless I'll do it.

PCD (Pretty Circle Drawer) said...

hey there CITC! i think you should take down hillary for the JOTW poll...cuz she didnt lie. she actually told the truth and it was far worse than she actually described. i posted about it today *sorry for being off topic*

TravelDiva said...

PCD you're crazy! I saw the video. HA!

Anonymous said...

definitely better to do it now.