Monday, November 26, 2007

Jill Scott and Random "Michael Richards- Kramer-like" Nonsense


The Sydney Morning Herald recently reported a disturbing story about Jill Scott. After she had finished a show and had relaxed and partied with such legends as Stevie Wonder and Prince, she was reminded rather sharply that racism is alive and kicking in America. The Herald reported the following:


Scott said she was "waiting outside for the valet to bring the car round, and these … I say kids, but they must have been 25, looking wealthy, five-o'clock-in-the-morning wasted. And this guy's saying, 'Step back nigger, step back nigger.' He's saying it like it's a song, but there's nobody out there but me. I was taken aback, and I said, 'Excuse me?'

And he said, 'Shut your mouth and don't say a word when a white man is talking.'

"I'm not kidding. I started laughing, and I followed him and his cohorts through the parking lot laughing hysterically, and they became more and more uncomfortable.

It was one of the best moments of outrageous laughter I've had.
"To think for one moment I could possibly fit into that box … I am so far from that word that it is funny. They looked so uncomfortable; I wanted to emasculate him, to make sure he was getting no nookie that night. The girls sobered up and were looking scared. It was something else - the first time in my life I've been called that. Wow. But I enjoyed it. You must fight back; it's imperative. I like the fight in me now."


Has Jim Crow been reinstated or something? Did I not get the memo that Plessy vs. Ferguson is now good law? Nooses, slurs, unfair sentencing...so disturbing.
Picture Source: Jill Scott

1 comment:

What's Haute said...

that's horrible...i can't believe that. but then again, i can...