- I was born in Washington, D.C. at Washington Hospital Center. I'm a true D.C. native.
- I've been to hip hop clubs in Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Madrid, Lisbon and Albufeira. Barcelona is like the United Nations of Hip Hop. Imagine being in a club with people from every country of the world yelling "Now west side walk it oooout, now east side walk it ouuuuut." That is a wild thing to see.
- I LOOOOOVE to read. When I was a kid, I used check out 20 books from the library at once (usually Sweet Valley High, Nancy Drew and Sweet Dreams), read them in two weeks and then check out 20 more. I just finished the Brief Wondrous Life of Benjamin Wao--a book about several generations of a family from the Dominican Republic. It was a great read.
- I have a weird fascination with vampire culture. (Not in a sick twisted way--I guess....). But I enjoy vampire stories - movies (Underworld, Interview with a Vampire, etc.); tv (True Blood, Buffy); Books (L.A. Banks series).
- I am getting married in July and either I am the most relaxed bride in history or the biggest procrastinator who doesn't understand the scope of her responsibility....
- I've been to Las Vegas ten times and stayed at 7 different hotels (Circus Circus, Bellagio, Luxor, New York New York, Mandalay Bay, The Signature at the MGM Grand, & The Hilton). I usually do pretty well and actually hit the jackpots. But the last time I went, I was at The Mirage, and I hit for $300, cashed out and moved on to the next machine. Five minutes later, a middle-aged lady sat down at the machine I hit on, and hit the upper progressive for $15,000. I was disgusted. As the machine played "We're in the money" for the next 30 minutes I was almost sick. I did end up winning $1,000 that night, but my heart still hurt.
- I have two brothers. My older one is a character and my younger one is super smart, about to graduate from Princeton. Yeah, I'm bragging. LOL.
- I work to live, not live to work. There is a big difference.
- I love movies. I think it's an extension of my love of reading. Stories--it's all stories. The latest flicks that I've taken in? Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Turino, Taken and Notorious.
- We're going to Maui and Oahu for our honeymoon. I would like to leave right now.
- I have a group of lawyer friends. There are 4 of us and we call ourselves The Committee. We got the name because we talk on e-mail everyday about everything, and one of the boyfriends jokingly remarked "Oh yeah, I know you have to run it by the Committee." It stuck.
- I started calling people who do something stupid or something that annoys me "jokers." I even have a weekly "Joker of the Week" on my blog www.chicasinthecity.blogspot.com. Now everyone around me uses the word--my mom, my grandmother, friends. Unfortunately, I called my fiancé a joker once and my three year old nephew latched on. He subsequently called my grandmother, my mother and his father a joker; and he routinely asks me if my fiancé is still a joker? Thus, I unintentionally have gotten that kid into a lot of trouble.
- Barack Obama was the first political candidate that I ever gave money to. It was money well spent.
- I (gasp) like line dancing. Not necessarily the electric slide--but let the cupid shuffle come on--I'm hitting the floor!
- I had a jheri curl when I was in the 5th and 6th grade. (You've probably seen the photos former classmates/new frenemies have posted on FB). At the time it seemed like a good idea... And it did make my hair grow. LOL.
- I met Stanford from Sex and the City in the Hilton gift shop. The weird thing was, at first I didn't recognize him. I thought he was somebody that worked at my law firm, but then I said "Sex and the City!" He nodded and was actually pretty friendly.
- I love to go to Europe because people think my friends and I are celebrities. I'm dead serious. A black American--walking around on vacation, shopping, looking fab, staying at 5 stars in Portugal or Spain? Of course we have to be famous. Psssh, I put on my big sunglasses as soon as I get to Dulles Airport just to get ready for my landing abroad. Although the staring can be annoying, particularly when you're eating, I generally enjoy the fanfare and the yells of "guapa", "bella".
- I used to play soccer when I was younger, even went to a week long soccer camp when I was 14.
- I was semi-kidnapped once in the Bahamas. We were staying at Atlantis on Paradise Island. I decided to venture out a couple of times by myself to clubs in Nassau. Saturday night--went out, had a good time. Sunday when I went out--the club that I wanted to go to was closed. I told the cab driver he could just take me home. He said no--He had a place that he could take me. He proceeded to drop off another passenger and then took me to a dancehall in the hood. I was like "CRAP"--although it was not crap. He said I didn't have to pay, "he just wanted to party with me." I'm not against cabbies, but he wasn't even hot. I went in the dancehall---did not see one other tourist--realized I could be stabbed up and through there, and rolled out. I got a guy to hail me another cab (miraculously) and just as I was about to flee the scene, the cab driver (having parked a mile away and walked back to the club to meet me), stopped me from closing the door and said, "what happened?" I said, "It was just not my scene." Then I closed the door. I think if he could have slapped me, he would have. LOL. I took my butt back to Atlantis and shot craps that night. During the ride home, my new cab driver said he loved me, the toll ticket guy said I was beautiful, and as I was walking back towards the hotel entrance, another cabbie, grabbed me, looked at my chest and said he'd like to give me the royal treatment. Only in the Caribbean man! HA!
- When I was in Key West for a wedding, I ended up going to a clothing optional club--I can't remember the name of it--but I know the rooftop was called the Garden of Eden. Oddly, only people who should remain in their clothes at all time chose to disrobe. It was NASTY. One guy actually came up to me and was talking to me, asking questions, like he wasn't butt naked!
- Sometimes I get sucked into watching stupid reality shows when they run a marathon. (i.e. From Gs to Gents and I love New York). It's a source of shame.
- I've driven to work for the last 7 years. But now, the parking lot at my building is so small, I just don't want to risk dents in the car. So, in March, I'm thinking about getting back on the subway. The problem is, I hate people. Well, I guess hate is a strong word. All of the crowds, the pushing to get on the train, people standing over me if I'm lucky enough to get a seat. What a nuisance. I like the quiet comfort of my own vehicle. (SIGH). I need to pray on it.
- I think my mother is the best mother in the world. Ever. In the history of motherhood. Dramatical? Yes. True? YES!
- I've known my best friend for almost 26 years. Knowing anyone for that long makes me feel old.
- I am a fan of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. I even read The Rock Says. In my defense, it was Christmas present.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
25 Random Things
(Smarty Jones tagged me on Facebook--I might as well kill two birds with one stone. :-)